Church of St. Thomas More

6806 McClean Boulevard  

Baltimore, Maryland  21234

Home    About Us    Sacraments    Ministries    Contact Us     What's Happening    Religious Ed     Photo Gallery 

 

Our FoundingFathers

Fr. Thomas Kelly, Pastor (right)

Fr. Edward Staub, Assoc. (left)

 

 

           In the late 1950's the neighborhoods aroundPerring Parkway were burgeoning. To help alleviate the crowded conditions in the four surrounding parishes, twelve acres of land were purchased on McClean Boulevard in 1959, and the following year, plans were drawn up for a school, rectory, and convent before the parish had a name. Construction soon began with cornerstones for the church, parish center, and convent laid in 1960.

           In January, 1961, the newly appointed pastor, Father Thomas Kelly, held meetings with volunteers in a rented store in theHamilton Park Shopping Center. With directories borrowed from other churches, lists of potential parishioners were established andSt. Thomas More’s first Mass was celebrated on September 10th of that year. Classes at the school began that same week under the guide of Mother Charlotte Marie and the Sisters of St. Joseph of Chestnut Hill.

          Pastors succeeding Father Kelly were Fr. Edward Staub, Fr. George Loskarn, Fr. Richard Murphy, Fr. Victor Galeone, Fr. John Cunningham,  Fr. Brian Zielinski, O. Praem.Fr. Pete Literal (Temporary Administrator), and Fr. Richard Gray.  Msgr. James Farmer is the current pastor.

          With a dwindling population of children,St. Thomas More School was closed in June, 1988. The school and convent buildings were leased to The Children’s Guild in August of 1988 while theCardinal Shehan School was officially incorporated and merged with St. Thomas More and St. Matthew parishes. 

          The parish mortgage was paid off in full to the archdiocese onJanuary 10, 1997, and was celebrated later that year.

 

Our Patron, St. Thomas More, "The King's Good Servant, But God's First."

At 13 Thomas was placed in the home of Cardinal Morton, Archbishop ofCanterbury and Lord Chancellor, displaying merry character and brilliant intellect. Sent toOxford in 1492 with a bare allowance from his father, he mastered Greek, spoke Latin fluidly, studied French, history and mathematics, and learned to play the flute and viol. Recalled toLondon in 1494, he entered at New Inn as a law student, transferred toLincoln’sInn in 1496 and soon became a judge, attracting himself as a lecturer of law at other schools.

He also wrote poetry, cultivated acquaintances with scholars, translated Greek into Latin, and gave church lectures onSt. Augustine between 1499 and 1503. He explored his possible call to priesthood, but after vigils, fasts, and prayer, decided to take on the married state.

In 1501 he was elected to Parliament, immediately beginning to oppose large and unjust exactions of money King Henry VIII was making on his subjects.

Thomas married Jane Colte in 1505 from whom were born three daughters and a son. Jane died in 1511.  His second wife, Alice Middleton, a widow, was his senior by seven years and was devoted to the care of his small children.

Already famed as a lawyer, in 1510 he became Under-Sheriff ofLondon and in 1514 was assigned to an embassy inFlanders. Anxiously sought by ministers and the king to service the King’s Court, in 1520 he was engaged by the king and a year later knighted and made sub-treasurer to the king. In 1523 Thomas was elected Speaker of the House of Commons, also becoming High Steward ofCambridge University in 1525. By this time the Lutheran controversy flowed throughEurope. By 1529 More became Chancellor ofEngland where he dutifully enforced the laws against heretics. A few months later, Henry ordered the clergy to acknowledge himself as “Supreme Head” of the Church. Thomas More’s firm opposition to Henry’s designs in regard to the divorce, the papal supremacy and laws against heretics, lost him the royal favor. In 1532 he resigned as Lord Chancellor, lost his income and some rental properties, and for the next 18 months, lived in seclusion. Having survived his disagreement with the crowing of Anne Boleyn, bantering with Cromwell, the new Chancellor, and the removal of his name from the Bill of Attainer introduced in the House of Lords for those against Anne Boleyn, Thomas could not survive the 1534 Act of Succession requiring all to take an oath acknowledging Henry and Anne as legitimate heirs to the throne. Because of his refusal, he was moved to theTower ofLondon, accused of treason, had his land grants removed. Approximately a year in prison, he endured more false accusations and trials which finally led to his beheading in July, 1535.

 

                    REV. 07/26/16